MOGenWeb logo Montgomery County,
The USGenWeb Project
The USGenWeb Project logo

Montgomery County families (surnames beginning with I-L) from
A History of the Pioneer Families of Missouri
with numerous sketches, anecdotes, adventures, etc.,
relating to Early Days in Missouri. Also the lives of
Daniel Boone and the celebrated Indian chief Black Hawk,
with numerous Biographies and Histories of Primitive institutions

By William S. Bryan and Robert Rose
Bryan, Brand & Co., St. Louis, Mo., 1876

Transcribed by Joanne Scobee Morgan

INGRAM, Jonathan Ingram married BARBARA MENNEFEE of Virginia and settled in Logan co., Ky. Their children were Rhoda, Jonas, Samuel, Garrett, James, Anna, Polly and Barsheba. Garrett married NANCY HUDSON and settled in Pike co., Mo., in 1818. Their children were Polly, John, Barbara, Elizabeth, Jonathan, Samuel, Nancy and Sally. Rhoda Ingram settled in Indiana and James and Polly in Illinois.

JACOBS, John Jacobs, of Germany, came to America and settled in Virginia, where he married SARAH CRAWFORD. Their children were David, John, Peter, William, Elizabeth C., and Susan H. William married MARGARET A. McDANIEL daughter of DANIEL McDANIEL & MARY ANDERSON, who were natives of Edinburgh, Scotland. By her he had Charles A., George R., Mary, Anna, Sallie, Sophia and Catharine H. Mr. Jacobs died in Virginia in 1828, and in 1831 his widow removed to Mo. and settled in Montgomery co., where she died in 1850. Charles, who was a wealthy merchant of New Orleans, died without marrying. George R., who was a physician, married LOUISA PARSONS, of Virginia, and settled in Montgomery co., Mo. in 1831, but subsequently removed to Boone co. Mary and Anna died single, in Montgomery co., one in 1843 and the other in 1844. Sophia married DR. GEORGE Y. BAST, of New Florence. Catharine H. married HENRY CLARK, SR.

JONES, Ezekiel Jones, of Buckingham co., Va., married RHODA GILL, and they had James, John, Andrew, Polly, Nancy and Sallie. John married ANNA HERRON, and lived in North Carolina. They had 8 children. Andrew was married first to a MISS WILSON, daughter of a congressman of that name from South Carolina. He was married 4 times in all, and lived in Arkansas. Polly married JOHN LAPPING, and they had 5 children. One of their sons married and had 13 daughters. Nancy married JOSEPH TATE, of North Carolina. Sallie married JESSE ORR, of North Carolina. James married ELIZABETH WARDLOW, daughter of PATRICK WARDLOW & ESTHER CONNOR, both of Ireland, but who settled in Buckingham co., Va., previous to the American revolution. He was married in 1811, and settled in Montgomery co., where Jonesburg now stands, in 1829. The town was named for him, and he was the first postmaster at the place. He also kept hotel and the stage office, and after the railroad was built he was ticket agent for some time. He had seven children, Calvin, Julia A., Patrick, Luther, Thomas, William and James F.

JONES, Richard Jones, who was born in England, married a MISS LOVE, and settled in Botetourt co., Va. He was a member of the Baptist church, but had to give a hogshead of tobacco every year for the support of the Episcopal Church. The names of his children were William, John and Silas. William married ELIZABETH METCALF, and settled first in Shelby co., Ky., from whence he removed to Mo. and settled on Darst's Bottom, St. Charles co., in 1818. In 1820 he removed to Callaway co., and built a horse-mill, under the shed of which the Baptists held religious services for a number of years. The mill was kept by his son, William M., who afterward became a Baptist preacher, and is now a merchant at Montgomery City. William Jones' children were Jane, Richard, Elizabeth L., Susan, William M., Minerva, Maria, Martha, and Narcissa. Jane married ROBERT SAYLOR. Richard married UNICIA DAVIS. He afterward died of consumption, and the day before his death he was taken to the creek, on his bed, placed in a rocking chair, and baptized, chair and all, by JABEZ HAM. Elizabeth L. Jones married WILLIAM McCORMACK. William M. married ELIZABETH JONES, and they had 12 children, one of whom, Judge Robert W. Jones, has been Judge of the probate court of Montgomery co., and is now editor of the Standard at Montgomery City. Minerva married ANDERSON HUNTER. Maria married MARTELLUS OLIVER. Martha married BENJAMIN PROCTOR. Narcissa married WILLIAM METCALF, of Ky.

JONES, William R. Jones was born in the state of Georgia. His father's name was JOHN JONES, and the maiden name of his mother was ROBINSON. William R. came to Mo. in 1819, a single man, and settled in Montgomery co., where he was married the same year to MARY WHITESIDES, by whom he had John H., James H., Amanda, Mary M., Emeline, Nancy J., William R., Jr., Sylvesta M., Samuel A., Thomas S., and Perry S. All the children, except three, who are dead, live in Montgomery co. Mr. Jones was a Methodist preacher.

KNOX, David Knox was born in Ireland in 1700. He had a son named Andrew, who was born in 1728. In 1732, Mr. Knox came to America, bringing his little son with him, and settled in Philadelphia co., Pa. Andrew married ISABELLA WHITE, of Pennsylvania, and they had Robert, David, Martha, James, John, William, Mary and Andrew, Jr. Mr. Knox was a soldier in the rev. war, and having taken an active part in the events of the day, a reward was offered for him, dead or alive, by the British authorities. On the night of the 14th of Feb., 1778, he was at home visiting his family, and during the night, his house was surrounded by a party of tories, who had come to capture him for the reward. They announced their presence by firing a volley of balls through the door, and then broke it down with the breeches of their guns. But before they could effect an entrance, Mr. Knox and his son, Robert, met them with drawn sabres, and laid about them so vigorously that they were soon glad to retreat, with several of their party bleeding from the gashes and cuts they had received. some American troops in the vicinity was notified of the attack, and immediately started in pursuit. Several of the wounded were captured, as they could be easily traced by the blood on the snow; but the rest made their escape. Those who were captured were tried by court-martial, condemned as spies, and shot. David, son of Andrew Knox, was born in Pennsylvania in 1760. He married ISABELLA CALDWELL of Charlotte co., Va., and settled in Mercer county, Ky. Their children were William, George, Mary, andrew, John C., Robert, Davis C., James, Samuel, Benjamin F., and David R. William was born in Mercer co., Feb. 3, 1792. He enlisted as a soldier in the war of 1812, and in 1818 he settled in Montgomery co., Mo. On the 18th of Dec. 1828, he married SARAH CLARK, and the children resulting from this marriage were David F., Mary I., Isaac H., William S., and Davis R. David F. married CATHARINE DAVAULT, who died in 1875. He has been sheriff of Montgomery co. several times, and is a prominent and influential citizen. Mary I. married DR. D. F. STEVENS, of New Florence. Isaac H., was married first to SARAH CLARK; second to ELIZABETH CLARK, and third to CAROLINE SNETHEN. Davis R. married ALICE DYSON.

KING, Isaac King, of Germany, settled in Wythe co., Va., and married BARBARA STROUP (late Mrs. Fipps, of Montgomery co., Mo.) by whom he had one son, John P. The latter settled in Montgomery co. in 1835, and married SUSAN STEPHENSON, a granddaughter of JAMES HELLER, of rev. fame, and who was at the battle of Bunker Hill.

KING, Isaac King, of South Carolina, married LYDIA SITTON, and settled in Tennessee. Their children were Joshua, Abraham, Sarah and Joseph. Joshua, Abraham and Sarah settled in Lincoln co., Mo., in 1817. Joseph married ELIZABETH YATES, and settled in Montgomery co., in 1823. They had 6 children, Conrad, Isaac, John, Charles, and Sarah. Mr. King built a horse mill, which was run principally by his wife. He took a real deal of interest in politics, and was elected justice of the peace and Captain of the militia.

KERR - The father of William Kerr, whose name was Thomas, died when he was 6 years of age. They were originally of Va., but at the time of Mr. Kerr's death, they were living in Mercer co., Ky. William was bound out by his mother, who did not feel able to raise him; and in 1827 he came to Montgomery co. Here he married and had James H. H., George W., Elizabeth, William A., John t., Melissa C., Benjamin, Sophia, William, Douglass M., and Milton. Two of the children are dead, and all the others, except one, who resides in Lincoln co., live in Montgomery co. William Kerr was a stage driver for 16 years, on different routes, but most of the time on the route between Fulton and St. Charles, over the Booneslick Road. He was one of the best drivers that could be found, and his services were sought by all the contractors. The horses were herded on the prairies, like cattle, when they were not in use.

LEAVELL, Edward Leavell, of Va., married ELIZABETH HAWKINS, and settled in North Carolina. They afterward removed to Garrard co., Ky., where they both died. Their children were Benjamin, Joseph, James, John, Edward, Nathan, Mary, Nancy, Elizabeth, Catharine, Sally and Mildred. Benjamin, Joseph and john lived in Ky. Nathan died in N.C. James married REBECCA STINSON, who cut the throat of a mad wolf that had bitten her father, while he held it. Their children were Margaret, Elizabeth, Jane, Julia A., William H., James M., Benjamin F., and Edward. Margaret married JOHN STEPHENS. Elizabeth married RANDOLPH BOONE. Jane married MR. CARNIFIX. Julia A. married M. B. SNETHEN. William H. was married 3 times. James M. died single. Benjamin F. married SARAH NUNNELLY, and they had 1 child, James. Edward married RHODA SALLEE. Mildred, daughter of Edward Leavell Sr., married NICHOLAS H. STEPHENSON, of Ky., and is now a widow in her 86th year. Mr. Stephenson and his family started to Mo., in 1813, on horseback, but after crossing the Ohio river, they purchased a wagon and traveled in that some distance, when the roads became so bad that they could use it no longer. They then sold the wagon and performed the rest of the journey on horseback, arriving in St. Charles co., in 1814, having been on the road one year. Mr. Stephenson settled first in Howell's Prairie, where he built a tanyard, and in 1818 he removed to Montgomery co. He had 2 children, James and Mildred A. THOMAS D. STEPHENSON, a brother of Nicholas, settled in Howell's Prairie, St. Charles co., in 1812, where he married MARY PITMAN. In 1844 he removed to Warren co., where he died. He was county judge and justice of the peace for some time, and was an influential citizen.

LEACH, John Leach, of England, settled in Prince William co., Va. His son, William was married first to FANNY GEORGE, and they had Henry and Fanny. He was married the second time to MARTHA CLARK, by whom he had William, Reason, Louisa, Martha and Mary E. Henry married FRANCES HORTON, and settled in Montgomery co., Mo., in 1830. They had two sons and 8 daughters. Fanny married JOHN ROBINSON, who settled in Montgomery co., in 1830. William died in infancy. Mary also died young. Reason, Laura (?) and Martha settled in Montgomery co.

LEWIS, Edwin Lewis, of N.C. pitched his tent in Montgomery co. in 1830. He married ELIZABETH EVANS, by whom he had Wormley, Mary, Edward, Francis, Hiram, Bentley, Susan, Ann and Lucretia. Mr. Lewis' first wife died and he afterward married MRS. REBECCA WALLPOOL, a widow, by whom he had Thomas, James, Elizabeth, Amanda, Margaret, Caroline and Jane.

LAWSON, Henry Lawson, of Shelby co., Ky., married REBECCA LEWIS, by whom he had Henry, James, Joseph, William, John, Cynthia A., Mary, Laura, Rebecca and Nancy. Mr. Lawson settled in Montgomery co., Mo., in 1822. He and his wife were present at the organization of Macedonia Church on Cuivre, of which they became members.

LEWIS, Aesop Lewis, a blacksmith, was of English parentage, and lived in the state of New York, from whence he removed to Vermont. The names of his children were Rufus, Benjamin, Eli, Chandis, Salina, and Hannah. Rufus, who was a cooper by trade, married ELIZABETH GILBERT, of Conn. and moved with his parents to Ohio in 1816. They went from there to Ky., and in 1819 they came to Mo. in keel boats, landing at St. Genevieve. They settled in Washington co., and in 1839 Rufus Lewis, with his wife and son, Enos W., came to Montgomery co. They had 3 children besides Enos W., viz: Mary A., George W., and Elizabeth. The latter was married first to COMMODORE C. LEWIS, and after his death she married JOSEPH CHARLES. Mary A. and George W. married and settled in Mo. Enos W. lives in Montgomery co., and is a substantial, well-to-do farmer, fond of fun and frolic, and nearly always has a joke to tell on somebody. He married the WIDOW COTES, whose maiden name was NANCY SMITH.

LEWELLYN, Jacob, son of Samuel Lewellyn, had a son, Samuel, who settled in Pike co., Mo. at a very early date, and died in 1837. He left a son, John W., who married JANE TRABUE, of KY, in 1824, and had 10 children, nine of whom are still living. Mr. Lewellyn lived for some time in Clark co., Mo., where he was judge of the County court for 8 years. He settled in Montgomery co., in 1839, having lived in St. Charles co., in 1818, and in Pike co., in 1820.

LOYD, William Loyd, of Wales, emigrated to America, and at the commencement of the revolution, he sided with the Americans and enlisted in their army. He settled and lived in Virginia. His son, William, married MARY HILL, and they had Kirtley, Richard, William, Willis, Robert, James, Anna, Mary, Sarah and Margaret. Kirtley lived in Va., until 1860 when he removed to Mo. Richard married MARTHA ELLIS, and settled in Montgomery co., in 1838. William married the WIDOW DAVAULT, whose maiden name was VIRGINIA MAUGHS. Robert married the WIDOW BROWN, whose maiden name was CYNTHIA A. BUSH. James, Sarah and Margaret lived in Va. Anna married JAMES D. WOOD, who settled in Mo. in 1835. Mary married THOMAS NUNNELLY.

LOGAN, Hugh Logan was born in Ireland. At the age of 15 years he had a difficulty with his father, and ran away from home and went to sea. He followed the life of a sailor for three years, and then landed at Philadelphia, and made his way from there to Ky., during the first settlement of that state. He married REBECCA BRYAN, a sister of JONATHAN, DAVID AND HENRY BRYAN, who had been raised by her aunt, MRS. DANIEL BOONE; her mother having died while she was young. Their children were William, Alexander, Hugh, Jr., Henry (called "Ross") and Mary A. Mr. Logan was drowned in Fleming's creek, Ky., while attempting to swim a race horse across the stream, and his body was not found until twenty-four hours afterward. The night before his death he had a singular premonition of his approaching fate in a dream, in which the catastrophe of the following day was clearly depicted. He related the dream to his wife, who tried to persuade him not to go near the creek that day; but he laughed at her for being scared at a dream, and met his death as above stated. William Logan, the eldest son, married NANCY H. HOBBS, daughter of JOSEPH HOBBS AND NANCY HUGHES, and came to Mo. in 1820, with his wife and one child, on horseback. They had 12 children in all. Mr. Logan died in 1852, but his widow is still living, on the old place in Tenque Prairie, in her 81st year. Her memory is bright as ever, and she takes great pleasure in relating incidents and adventures of early days in Missouri and Ky. She still has her wedding dress, which is made of home-spun cloth and striped with copperas. Alexander Logan married ELIZABETH QUICK, and settled in Callaway co., Mo., in 1817, but the following year he moved and settled on South Bear Creek, on the line between Warren and Montgomery counties. He was a man of iron constitution, and could endure the greatest extremes of cold and heat without apparent inconvenience. His will was as strong as his constitution, and he governed his family and everything that came under his control with the strictest discipline. One day, he accidentally killed a fine donkey, for which he had paid $500 [?], while trying to teach it "horse sense" with a clapboard. Hugh Logan married a MISS MASSEY, and settled in Warren county. He was very fond of hunting, and became subject to rheumatism from exposure in the woods. But he was cured one day by an adventure with a bear, which is related elsewhere. Henry Logan came to Mo. when he was quite a boy, and at the age of 14 he accompanied Daniel Boone and JOHN DAVIS on a hunting expedition to Grand River. His father having died while he was young, he was bound out to learn the tanner's trade, and when he became able, he opened a tanyard in Montgomery co., and carried on the business for many years. He was more eccentric than any of the other boys, and many amusing anecdotes are related of him. He was a member of the Old Baptist Church, and a regular attendant upon religious services. He would often carry his hat full of grapes to church and pass them around to the ladies and children during services. In warm weather he went barefooted, with his pants rolled up nearly to his knees; and it is said that he courted his wife barefooted. He asked her father, JACOB QUICK, for her hand, late one Sunday night, long after the family had retired to bed. It seems that, about 12 o'clock, he obtained the consent of his sweetheart, and immediately knocked at the door of her father's sleeping room, in order to secure his sanction. Mr. Quick, startled at the unexpected summons, sprang up and demanded what was wanted, to which Logan replied in a loud voice, "I want your daughter, Sally". The old gentleman, who was vexed at the disturbance and the abruptness of the demand, replied angrily, "Take her and go to the devil with her". Mr. Logan wore a hat for 20 years that was made by MARK COLE, out of raccoon and muskrat fur. It would hold an even half-bushel of corn, and its owner frequently used it to measure grain with. He once had a bushel of seed corn that he was saving for a neighbor, when another neighbor came along one day and wanted it, but Logan told him he could not have it unless he would prove himself to be the better man of the two. The neighbor said he was willing to try, and so they went at it on a big pile of tan bark. The result was that Logan lost his corn. Late one night, a stranger stopped at his house and begged to stay all night when Logan gave him the following characteristic reply: "No, Sir, you can't stay all night at my house, but if you feel like it you may spent the BALANCE of the night with me." Notwithstanding his eccentricities, he was a kind-hearted man and a good neighbor, and was respected by all who knew him. Two years ago, he started to California to visit one of his sons, and not long after the train had left Omaha, he fell from the car and was killed.

[Montgomery County Home Page] [Index of Surnames, Queries, Articles, and Researchers]
[Montgomery County Lookups]

This page is maintained by Joanna Ashmun, Montgomery County coordinator.
Last updated 10 August 2000.